Thursday, January 2, 2014

Get My Head in the Game

2 weeks. That's all the time I've got left before the tennis tournament. I haven't been actively playing and honestly, I've only REALLY played tennis almost 8-9 months ago. I did play a couple of times but twice isn't going to cover anything. So finally I was able to practice albeit badly with a good friend of mine and although I was frustrated I couldn't really get my shots right anymore, I've identified several things I really need to work on.

1. Low balls. This has always been my weakest. It's either this or my serve. Flat shots from opponents are a nightmare cause low, fast balls require lift to... LIFT and get them over the net. I have got to work on bending my legs, lowering my centre of gravity so that I'm able to at least get the ball back in play. We're not always aiming for winners, get that in your head, dude.

2. Serves. Been off the game for so long it's incredibly hard to get my serve in play. I don't have the confidence on both first and second serve. I'll fix that this weekend. Let's see how it goes.

3. Mental strength. Being in your first open tournament can be a scary thought and it doesn't get better if I worry about the two things above. I have to control my frustrations during the two days or I'll lose it. Remember I'm there to have fun, winning is secondary. God, I don't even know who will support me. Only my girlfriend is coming.

4. My right leg. Two hours yesterday nearly killed it. I'm extremely worried about the condition of my leg with the IM rod in it. It cramps too easily so warming that up is a big deal to me. Post-massage may be necessary but there are 3 matches to play on the first day. That is definitely something to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment